flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: WG: Loosing my drive ...
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2015 16:27:53 GMT

On 11/6/15, 1:26 AM, "omuppi1@gmail.com on behalf of OmPrakash Muppirala"
<omuppi1@gmail.com on behalf of bigosmallm@gmail.com> wrote:

>I read your email twice.  I don't see what I was expecting.  Here are a
>couple of simple questions:
>1.  As a FlexJS SDK Developer, I want to build the FlexJS SDK.  I want to
>go to the flex-asjs folder and run mvn install.  I want the entire SDK
>built and ready to release.

In theory, if you are just starting out as a FlexJS SDK developer and have
taken a clean folder and clone flex-asjs into it, you should be able to
just run “ant all” and it will clone all the older repos required and
build them in the right order.  Why isn’t that simple enough?

Now it does assume you have the build tools (Ant, Java, Flash, AIR)
installed and environment variables pointing to them, so is this
discussion about simplicity really about the set up of our build tools?
If so, let’s focus a thread on that.

>2.  As a FlexJS SDK User, I want to go inside the
>flex-asjs/examples/flexjs/ChartExample folder and run mvn install.  I
>expect to see the built artifacts in the bin/js-debug, bin/js-release and
>bin-debug folders

In theory, once you have installed the FlexJS SDK, you can go to
ChartExample/src and run:

	<path-to-SDK>/bin/mxmlc ChartExample.mxml

And it will generate the SWF version, and then run:

        <path-to-SDK>/js/bin/mxmlc ChartExample.mxml

And it will generate the HTML/JS/CSS version.  Why isn’t that simple
enough?  Isn’t it as simple as using the regular Flex SDK today?   I
suppose we could make other scripts that run both compilers, but the
cross-compile takes long enough that I think if you are doing incremental
development you would be more efficient working with the SWF version until
you think it is in good shape, then doing the cross-compile.  Sort of like
choosing when and how often to run “Export Release Build” for current Flex
SDK projects.

I’ll be first to admit it wasn’t that simple in the past, but it should be
that simple now.  Can people try it and report in if you run into issues?

View raw message