flex-dev mailing list archives

From OmPrakash Muppirala <bigosma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [FlexJS] FlexJS installation - bundle Google Closure Library?
Date Mon, 03 Aug 2015 22:38:07 GMT
On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 3:21 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 8/3/15, 3:11 PM, "omuppi1@gmail.com on behalf of OmPrakash Muppirala"
> <omuppi1@gmail.com on behalf of bigosmallm@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 7:17 AM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
> >

> >> On 8/3/15, 1:28 AM, "omuppi1@gmail.com on behalf of OmPrakash
> Muppirala"

> >> Thanks for working on this.  IMO, we should keep GOOG_HOME.  It occurred
> >> to me as I was looking at your changes that maybe we shouldn't download
> >> GCL if GOOG_HOME is set.  GOOG_HOME allows you to keep the GCL files
> >> outside the tree of files for the repo and switch between versions of
> >>GCL
> >> if you need to, and dictate usage of a particular version.  With these
> >> changes, every time I run a build I will get the latest which may not be
> >> what I want when I’m just making quick changes to something like
> >>core.swc.
> >>

> >So, lets say GOOG_HOME exists and we skip download.  When the release
> >package is made, do we copy the files from GOOG_HOME?
>
> Maybe, or download it direct to temp, or download it, copy it, delete it.

Here are the options:

GOOG_HOME is not set
1 Download GCL to {$FLEXJS_HOME}/js/lib/google/closure-library
2 During release packaging, copy
{$FLEXJS_HOME}js/lib/google/closure-library to
out/js/lib/google/closure-library before zipping

GOOG_HOME is set
1 Do not download GCL during ant main
2a During release packaging, download GCL to temp/closure-library.  Then
copy it over to out/js/lib/google/closure-library before zipping
OR
2b During release packaging, copy GOOG_HOME/closure-library to
out/js/lib/google/closure-library before zipping

I prefer 2b slightly because the release manager probably tested everything
with GCL from GOOG_HOME.  The newly downloaded GCL during ant release might
break something.

Thoughts?

> >> It also occurred to me that maybe we should fork GCL because even if we
> >> bundle GCL, if folks build from sources they will get a different GCL.
> >>

> >But, today that happens in the Installer anyways.  The end user will get
> >whatever the latest GCL binary package contains.
> >I don't know if forking is a good idea, because we will need to monitor
> >for
> >critical, security etc. releases of GCL and merge them in.  Not sure if it
> >is worth the effort.
>
> Well, I thought a reason for bundling was to lock us to a version so we
> wouldn’t give folks the latest.  Not sure there is any great answer.  We
> lock all of our other dependencies to a version and don’t spend a lot of
> energy watching for security updates.
>
> I don’t have a strong opinion right now.

I don't either.  Let's leave this for now :-)

Thanks,
Om