flex-dev mailing list archives

From Carlos Rovira <carlos.rov...@codeoscopic.com>
Subject Re: [FlexJS][FalconJX] Ready for another release?
Date Thu, 30 Jul 2015 06:54:03 GMT
Hi,

I think we are not beta stage. There was lots of progress internaly, but
many of the things are not seen for a SDK external user and the point is
nobody here will be using FlexJS sdks today for production. So, for me this
is the separation between alpha/beta states. You can go 1.0 beta as soon
people could use FlexJS in production.

The actual numeration is right for me. samples out there:
*ReactJS v0.13.3 (http://facebook.github.io/react/)
*Polymerdart v0.16.3+3 (https://pub.dartlang.org/packages/polymer)
*nodejs  v0.12.7 (https://nodejs.org)

Following this patterns we should release and iterate more over this
numbers to get FlexJS v0.4, then 0.5, 0.10....and so on

The expectations right now are low. FlexJS is not even know for the JS
community out there, and I think we have only one shot to show something
that could work for people out there.
My fear is, that showing something still is not for production, and is hard
to impossible difficult to set up, makes people end with FlexJS before they
start.

For IDEs. I think Flash Builder is out of the game for some years now, I
left follow 5 years now and I think the product is without development
stuck in 4.7 (please let me know if is I'm missing something)
IntelliJ is the new IDE of choice out there, and is normal they no invest
nothing until frameworks will have some good statistics. So in this case is
clear: We should get some supporters for FlexJS and get some devs numbers
before IntelliJ could get FlexJS official support.

But this is not a problem, since, if we get FlexJS could get easy
installation and ease of development even with a note pad and command line
tools, people could try it and adopt it like any other JS framework out
there like Angular, React, and so on.

We should get the point that out there, thing are changing thanks to tools
like npm, bower, webpack and so on... so I think we should, in the end, be
in the same scenarios that other frameworks are.
a JS dev should expect to use npm to get FlexJS in his machine.