flex-dev mailing list archives

From Carlos Rovira <carlos.rov...@codeoscopic.com>
Subject Re: [FlexJS][FalconJX] Ready for another release?
Date Wed, 29 Jul 2015 14:51:03 GMT
Hi Alex,

from my point of view I want to share some thoughts about what I would
expect from a new release.

I little background first please: Things are going very fast out there,
with Polymer reaching 1.0, people exploring ReactJS, AngularJS 2 coming,
Coffescript/Frame doing some cool and simple screens... Dart+PolymertDart
is the preferred combo for people that search something like Flex in

And in our side we had a great effort in FlexJS, and aside (since is not in
this project), but is completely  related, Josh add MXML to feathers and
now integrated FlexJS and CreateJS in a very cool experiment.

Now going to the point: One thing I liked so much was the ease of testing
that Josh made in the feathers/MXML 2 beta. I could download and test it to
take a real taste of what is going on. For me the framework is very cool,
but it could not find resources or examples of data communication (AMF,
REST, JSON,..). So in few hours of testing and searching I have a clear
idea now of feathers, and I liked it, (but in TI enviroments it needs a
companion project that manages some version of HTTPService, RemoteObject,
web Services,...)

In FlexJS, I would expect the same ease of testing so people could enter
the game. In my case, I have many difficulties to get my hands dirty, but
my passion for this technology makes me continue following it. But, for
others, it's not the case. We need to make things more easy to get started,
and that's what I would expect from a new release...something I could
donwload, install and test (no environment variables to configure, no
tricky steps that makes me reach out of time and wait for another day to
continue figuring how to get things work.

For, example, I know some months ago FlexJS is not requiring Flex SDK
anymore...but I was testing it and I find I need it!.
I think we have lots of complexity, and I would ask here that the effort to
make the release would be driven towards making the release much more
friendly so people could taste it, love it, and want to contribute.

I think there's much more peple out there like me that want to help, but
maybe because there's few time to invest or maybe by the complexity of
things, we end throwing the towel without reaching the point of get the
environment set up correctly since there's many things involved.

We would need first to make things more simple, already configured, without
the need to manualy set up variables that some people could set up wrong
and get lost in the process.

Just my thoughts on this from a point of view that someone that is
following the project closely although my last contribution was several
months ago.

Thanks for reading

> I agree with Michael, just release it ASAP, seeing an actual release, even
> if it has problems, will motivate some people out there and will let others
> know that FlexJS is alive, of course then part of that same people will
> complain that the release has bugs, but that's a different fight.
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 4:32 PM, Michael Schmalle <
> teotigraphixllc@gmail.com
> > wrote:
> > Release it, the externs code is tested. :) JK but seriously, FlexJS and
> > needs to get out on a  real release not just nightlies, especially since
> > Josh just "tested" the externc compiler with his project.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > It’s been too long since the last release, but I think we are at or
> near
> > > good stopping point for the next release.  The default UI looks better,
> > > you can swap in a theme for many components, the layout subsystem is
> > > working better, etc.
> > >
> > > Is there anything else we “must” put in the next release?  I was going
> > > put off the rewrite of our handwritten JS to use the JS externs to a
> > > future release but I am open to waiting until that gets done as it will
> > > test the externs code we have now.
> > >
> > > Thoughts?
> > > -Alex

Carlos Rovira
Director General
M: +34 607 22 60 05

proceda a su destrucción.

oficinas c/ Tres Creus, nº 104, 2-1, 08202 de Sabadell (Barcelona) con la
documentación necesaria.