flex-dev mailing list archives

From OmPrakash Muppirala <bigosma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [FlexJS][FalconJX] Ready for another release?
Date Wed, 29 Jul 2015 23:12:45 GMT
On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 3:32 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 7/29/15, 3:24 PM, "Michael Schmalle" <teotigraphixllc@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 6:02 PM, OmPrakash Muppirala
> ><bigosmallm@gmail.com>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> +1 for a release of FlexJS.  It would be great to highlight and talk
> >>about
> >> the new version of FlexJS at ApacheCon Europe on Oct 1st, 2015.
> >>
> >> I have been talking to various folks (outside of Apache) about FlexJS.
> >>One
> >> feedback I've received is that the version number of 0.02 makes folks
> >>think
> >> that it is not ready to be taken seriously.  It is hard to convince
> >>folks
> >> to start using it if it has an 'alpha only' sheen to it.  I really think
> >> that the next version should be at a 1.0 release.  Even if it is not
> >> perfect, the FlexJS already has a lot of strong things going for it.  I
> >> don't think we should keep it under the covers anymore, i.e. keeping it
> >>at
> >> a sub 1.0 release version.
> >>
> >> Thoughts?
> >>

> >Or at least 0.5 or 1.0 alpha. :) I know there are 1000's of hours into the
> >compiler/transpiler/eternc side so having it at 0.0.2 really sucks.
> >
> >I know what Carlos is saying but the damn thing need to just have a
> >release, then release again, and again adding things. This isn't a fashion
> >show where you get one walk down the ile, it's iterative. Haha
>
> My philosophy is to set expectations low and exceed them.

I agree in general, but at this point, the expectations are low enough:-)
 We need to start raising them or risk not being ignored by the developer
community.

I will be giving at least one talk on FlexJS at ApacheCon Europe and
hopefully one more at the HTML5 Dev Conf in San Francisco this year.
Talking up a product which is at version 0.0.3, no matter how good it is
technically is going to be hard.  If there is 1.0 version, we could be
using these conferences as launchpads and generate more buzz, thereby
getting more developers trying FlexJS.  Which in turn could lead to more
feature requests and overall create a spiral upwards for FlexJS.

> Once I hear
> that folks on this list are actually building things that work with FlexJS
> then I’d say we are ready to tell more folks about it by giving it a 1.0
> version.

How many apps do you think it will take to get to that point?  I am
planning on building at least one easy to medium sample application that
shows off databinding, layouts, graphs, skinning etc.

Maybe others can start chipping in by building small examples?

> My goal after this release is to try to get something useful
> running.  I’m sort of leaning toward this still being 0.0.3 and then
> trying to get that something running and call it 0.5 or 0.9 and then if
> someone else is successful that can be 1.0.

In todays world of Chrome 44, Firefox 39, Flash Player 17, etc. version
numbers don't really mean what they used to.  IMHO, 1.0 is the new 'Beta'.
A 0.0.3 would be a pre-alpha or a prototype/proof-of-concept which will be
hard to get people excited about.  I mean, what product with a version
number less than 1.0 have you used recently?

Thanks,
Om