flex-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Flex Installer 3.2
Date Fri, 12 Jun 2015 23:31:58 GMT
Hi,

We already distribute the binaries here [1], wouldn’t the simple answer be to package those
up in an archive and include the required NOTICE and LICENSE files just as we do with the
source? Generally the LICENSE and NOTICE files are also placed in the dist directory outside
of the binary / archives so people can look at the license before downloading. Would also
require making minor changes to the installer download page [3]. I guess the main issue here
is the installer AIR auto update feature - do we know how many people take advantage of that
as opposed to just downloading the installer directly? Google stats seem to indicate a high
proportion of people go to the page (250,000+ hits). Just out of interest the track installer
pages has been hit 130,000 times.

Having links in the GUI also sounds helpful, but those files could change and they may get
out of sync between versions of the application. A solution would be to include the release
version number in the path to the files.

We could also add the files to the AIR distribution and packed them up (this has instructions
on how, look for assets [2]) but as discussed it's not easily discoverable.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://apache.org/dist/flex/installer/3.1/binaries/
2. http://help.adobe.com/en_US/air/build/WS901d38e593cd1bac1e63e3d128cdca935b-8000.html