flex-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [FalconJX] d.ts files and parse/cross compile to AS
Date Fri, 29 May 2015 23:37:45 GMT
Hi,

> So what is stopping me from making my own parser and offering libraries on
> my won github account that is not tied to Apache?

Nothing in fact the Apache license encourages you to do so. The Apache license allow you to
reuse the code in just about any way you like. [1] Think of it as the universal donor of the
OS license world. This is also why we need to take care when accepting 3rd party sources to
avoid contamination. Apache contributors have also signed ICLAs and the software gone though
several processes (grant, ip review etc) so you know you can use the code with a low risk
of having any potential legal issues down the track.

This may or may not be the case with a project on github, you may not know how an piece of
code is licensed (despite what the project LICENSE it) or where it came from originally.

> With IDL parser, if I made my own parser could that be used at Apache?

It would depend on a couple of things:
a) Who owned the code (some employee contracts mean they own the code you write) but I assume
in your case that’s not an issue?
b) How you licensed it and if that license is Apache comparable (Short answer - Apache, MIT,
BSD are compatable [2], GPL isn’t [3])
c) What 3rd party pieces or dependancies the code has and how they were licensed.

And of course if you were willing to donate it to Apache. If it a large bit of software it
may need to come in via a software grant. [4]

There are people on this list that can help with all of the above it not as hard as it sounds.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html <http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html>
2. http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-a <http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-a>