flex-dev mailing list archives

From Frédéric THOMAS <webdoubl...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: AW: Flex resolution of transitive dependencies
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2015 10:14:41 GMT
Hi Chris,
So, to me the optimal usage would be to translate the transitive dependencies scopes as set
in the user pom dependencies declaration, eg. If my dependency declares my lib as RSL, I want
all transitive dependencies be declared as such, idem for included, compile, provided and
test (can't remember either I did any usage of runtime with Flex).
If I want another form of linkage for a given transitive dependency, I use the exclude tag
from the its parent (the one I declared) and declare apart (in my pom) this transitive dependency
with the linkage I want (this extra top declaration must win in term of version, classifier
and scope relative to the transitive one).
Note: theme has not been mention and is a flexmojo linkage only and therefore has no equivalent
for the compiler but if you want fix the  way the resolution is done, I guess you should check
it still work as expected in case it has transitive dependencies too, right ?
Is it the same usage for you too ?

Thanks,
Frédéric THOMAS

> From: christofer.dutz@c-ware.de
> To: dev@flex.apache.org
> Subject: AW: Flex resolution of transitive dependencies
> Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 18:23:01 +0000
>
> Hi Guys ;-)
>
> Ok ... let me explain a little more in detail :-)
>
> In Flex we have different scopes in which we link other libraries:
> - compile (the default linking that included only the classes actually referenced)
> - rsl (which doesn't include a single class but references them externally)
> - included (which includes all of the classes in the other library)
> - provided (don't include anything, but expect it to be there ... usually this is the
playerglobal and airglobal)
> - runtime (well ... haven't come across this ;-) )
> - test (dependency only used by test-classes ... things like FlexUnit etc. )
>
> In maven you define the dependencies for each artifact. If for example Lib A references
Lib B and you include a compile dependency to Lib A in your project, you also get a transitive
compile dependency to Lib B without explicitly asking for it.

> Same with a test-scoped dependency, but with the difference that Maven adds all compile
dependencies of the referenced test-lib as test scoped dependencies. Immagine a mock framework
referencing other libs. So if you add a test-dependency to this mock lib, you also add the
dependencies of this mock lib to the test classpath.

> So far so good for the scopes defined in maven. Unfortunately we also have "include"
and "rsl" (I'll ignore caching as we no longer have this). Maven sort of drops the ball here
as the scopes are no Maven scopes. So I need to manually set the scopes correctly.

> In the matrix on the Wiki page in the left column I have the scope of the dependency
and in the other columns I define the scope I should translate transitive dependencies to.
So for example if I have a "rsl" dependency on Lib A and Lib a defines a "compile" dependency
to Lib B, then this dependency should be added as "rsl" dependency too. If I have a "compile"
dependency to Lib A and that has a "rsl" dependency to Lib B, then I should add an "rsl" dependency
to Lib B and so on ... is this a little more clear now?

> I guess you have to get used to thinking maven as with Ant you usually throw everything
into the same pot ... eclipse doesn't even distinguish between a compile and a test classpath
:-(

> Chris

are asking :-)Can you elaborate ?
> "Left column of this table is the scope of the dependency, the other columns define the"
>
> Frédéric THOMAS
>
> > From: christofer.dutz@c-ware.de
> > To: dev@flex.apache.org
> > Subject: Flex resolution of transitive dependencies
> > Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 12:33:18 +0000
> >
> > Since Maven 3.1 a bug has been fixed that we were relying on for building Flex applications.
This caused any transitive dependencies of "rsl", "cache" and "included" scoped dependencies
to be omitted from the build. I am currently extending FlexMojos to manually handle the flex
scopes. But I am not quite sure about all scenarios. I created a wiki page with a table containig
the scopes. The ones I'm quite sure about are bold and blue, the ones I'm not sure about are
orange.

> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Flex+Maven+Dependency+Resolution
> >
> > It would be good if you guys could waste some of your brain CPU cycles to evaluate
this table. I would then implement the manual resolution.