flex-dev mailing list archives

From Harbs <harbs.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [TTH] vetoes get in the way
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2014 08:31:40 GMT
None of the links you provided describe anything to do with how a progression towards a release
should work. It only described the release process itself. Nor do they describe how discussions
should work. (Not should they.)

I’m not sure what these “several bits” that you refer to are. The one thing you mention
(i.e. trying to have a single thread) is not a deviation from anything that I could see being
that DISCUSS threads are not covered in the links you provided at all.

I’m willing to accept that you might not understand what others are trying to say. It would
be most productive if you would ask for clarification on things that don’t make sense to
you rather than assuming we are somehow deviating from some norm.

On Dec 5, 2014, at 10:19 AM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>> Could you please show us where this “standard release process” is documented,
and explain how we are somehow deferring from this “standard”?
> The process is described here [1] which references [2] and best practise described here
[3] and there is a work in progress with clearer MUSTs and SHOULDs in it. (I was unable to
find the link)
> In short the normal process is to have one or more RCs each tagged in version control
and placed on dist.apache.org along with a VOTE and a DISCUSS thread for each RC. The RM keeps
making release candidates and putting them up for vote and discussion to the PMC until one
gets the required 3 +1 binding votes (and more +1 than -1 votes). The RC is then moved to
the release area and the release announced.
> Several bits of the noRC/lessRC (as described) deviate from this standard process, most
of the deviations are minor (ie single discuss thread for all RCs), testing a nightly rather
than the RC itself, but others are not ie the apparent need to build consensus before making
a RC and calling for a vote. The later may be a misunderstanding of the then undocumented
noRC process on my part, but that's what happened with the TourDeFlex release.
> With few PMC members voting a single -1 or indication that that how someone will vote
can basically acts as a veto.
> Thanks,
> Justin
> 1. http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html