flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: 4.14.0 SDK Trouble Building flatspark
Date Fri, 26 Dec 2014 07:40:45 GMT

On 12/25/14, 11:27 PM, "OmPrakash Muppirala" <bigosmallm@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 11:15 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
>> On 12/25/14, 10:51 PM, "OmPrakash Muppirala" <bigosmallm@gmail.com>
>> >I think the same would apply to using the fonts in the iOS and Android
>> >skins, right?
>> Yes.  Although I am wondering why these skins and themes “require” font
>> embedding.  What would happen if we took out the @font-face directives
>> left the decision to embed to the developer?
>Then it won't be seamless to the user.  I was trying to avoid having the
>user jumping through hoops to use the new skins.  I think it would be fine
>on the device, because they are the default fonts would be available
>anyways.  On the AIR simulator, things would look quite bad (especially on
>Windows which uses Times New Roman as the default)
>I am open to discussing removing the font embedding, but we want to see if
>there is an easier way of getting the font to the user, i.e downloading it
>via the Installer, etc.

IMO, this isn’t an issue of “getting the font to the user”, it is about
whether you embed the font or use device font rendering.  We are doing the
right things to bundle the font in the SDK so we’ve delivered the font to
the developer.  For IOS/Android, I don’t know what it takes to install a
new font on the device such that AIR will pick it up as a device font, or
whether it looks bad or not if you don’t embed.  For web developers using
FlatSpark, embedding adds to the SWF size and affects download time and
thus startup time.

>> Also, I looked at the defaults.css in MobileTheme and the @font-face
>> for Roboto is (to me) unusual. The common pattern is to use the same
>> fontFamily name for both normal and bold and simply change the
>> for bold.  FlatSpark seems to be following the common pattern.
>I've gotten into a habit of naming fontfamilies more explicitly.  Do you
>want me to change it?

Up to you.  In theory, if the fontFamily is the same, then you can switch
to bold just by setting fontWeight.  I would think that RichTextEditor
wouldn’t handle the “bold” button as well if the bold version has a
different fontFamily.

View raw message