flex-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [TTH] Why do you need release candidates?
Date Sun, 07 Dec 2014 00:07:17 GMT
Hi,

> Here's my suggested release (non-) process.

As far as I can see we been doing all of that with the old process [1] with the exception
that we usually make multiple RCs. Here's an example JIRA for the 4.12 release. [2]

So why multiple RCs? The PMC usually puts off testing / checking things out until a vote is
called, and few users that use the nightlys or provide feedback on them. So only having one
RC is usually not  possible as issue are only found during the RC process. We've has a single
RC once I think (the Squiggly 1.0 release), but the installer always seems to give us trouble
(most likely due to the large number of platforms and combinations that require manual testing).

Re the SDK, the CI is complicated in that the tests can be fragile and take 8 hours to run.
Sometime it's not obvious when the tests do fail (and that's often) if it's code changes,
issues with the tests or issue with the build machine. The Mustella can also sometime difficult
to debug and only a couple of people have experience with that.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Release+Guide+for+the+SDK
2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33950