flex-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [4.14] binary vs. source package legal docs
Date Sun, 21 Dec 2014 01:16:24 GMT
Hi,

> This is a great find.  I only found Saxon to not have Category A license.
> Did you find the others?

Here what I just checked:

commons-collections.jar Apache 1.1
commons-discovery.jar Apache 1.1
commons-logging.jar Apache 2.0  has NOTICE no with no downstream effects
javacc.jar version 5 BSD copyright Sun
saxon9.jar MPL (Michael Kay) and multiple NOTICES that effect downstream
xalan.jar Apache 2.0 and NOTICE that effects downstream
xercesImpl.jar Apache 2.0 and NOTICE that effects downstream
xercesPatch.jar Apache 2.0 and NOTICE that effects downstream
xml-apis-ext.jar Apache 2.0 and WC3 and NOTICE file that effects downstream
xml-apis.jar Apache 2.0 and WC3 and NOTICE file that effects downstream
velocity-dep-1.4-flex.jar Apache 2.0 and NOTICE file that effects downstream*
batik-all-flex.jar Apache 2.0 and NOTICE file that effects downstream

Are there any other jars or 3rd party files included in the binary that are not in the source
distribution?

* NOTICE file may not be correct as velocity original NOTICE file has no downstream effects.

So looks like for the binary license we would need to add pointers to the following licenses:
- Apache 1.1
- BSD
- W3C
- MPL

And add multiple pointers to NOTICE. Most of the existing LICENSE and NOTICE files are in
/lib/external with the exception of Velocity and Batik.

We may have a possible issue with saxon in particular this lib/external/saxon9-NOTICES/GPL+CLASSPATH.txt?
Do we know what this refers to? At a guess (and hopefully) it may not apply as it's only in
the .NET version of saxon which I assume we're not using. [1]

I've not looked at transitive dependencies which are likely to also have some effect on our
NOTICE file.

I also noticed that most of the flex jars have a LICENSE and NOTICE that is probably incorrect
for the jar itself e.g. compc.jar or flex-compiler-oem.jar  as t contains the full Flex LICENSE
and NOTICE file not just what is in the jar

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://svn.kuali.org/repos/kits/local/ditac/trunk/LEGAL/saxon9.LICENSE