flex-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [TTH] Why do you need release candidates?
Date Sun, 07 Dec 2014 08:24:09 GMT

> 'Fairly' accurate is not good enough.

I not done the stats on every release but you would have to agree it's happened many times.
The fact we don't have  only 1 or 2 RC for each release confirms it. I'd estimate that 80%+
of the releases  have had more than 2 RCs I think "fairly accurate" covers that.

> The point is, by painting with such broad strokes, you are discounting the
> efforts of those who take time to contribute to the project.

I'm not discounting anyones effort there and I really not know why you would assume or state

We do have some issue here. For instance:
- How many people have added new mustella tests?
- How many new mustella tests have been added since incubation?
- How many PMC members run the tests themselves on the RC?
- How many committers run the mustella test before checking anything in?
- How many committers/PMC members even know how to run the tests?
- We have regular failures of the mustella test runs - often for no explained reasons
- We need to rerun failed tests several times just to get all the tests to pass - that's hardly
- We've run into mustella tests that are wrong and just working by accident

Yes the CI solves some of the later points and I totally agree having tests (of any sort)
is better than not having them but it's fair to describe it as an imperfect solution.

> But there is no point in blaming the CI system or the Mustella tests for
> our difficult release process.

It has caused issues in the past ie Michael + Nick collection changes.