flex-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject Proposal for cleaning up the downloading of dependencies
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2014 13:19:20 GMT
Hi,

I am currently unable to participate on this list the same way I was used to for the last
months. But the project I am currently working on is migrating an insanely large and complex
Ant build to maven. For this we are implementing several steps. One I think could really be
benefitial to the Flex project.

Currently we download third party libs using "get" (See other problem thread in paralell).
A lot of projects in the Ant world use Ivy for this. But still with Ivy we were having great
problems. I managed to switch my customers build to using Aether-Ant-Tasks and to use Aether
(The part of Maven for downloading and dependency resolution and deployment) for resolving
the dependencies.

Currently I have added one pom.xml to each module, in which I define the dependencies of that
module using normal Maven dependencies. In the ant build all I have to do, is to call the
"aether:resolve" task to resolve all the dependencies defined in the pom.xml I pass in as
an argument. Then all is downloaded correctly and copied to a lib-directory that I specify.

If we were to adapt this pattern (I be we can't for all deps - such as playerglobal, but for
most of them). As a result we would make sure the build uses artifacts that maven would too,
we wouldn't have to rely that much on maintaining a large set of external sites and we would
get maven artifacts almost for free.

What do you think? I'm not talking about switching to Maven, just to use pars of maven for
handling the downloading of most of the artifacts we rely on.

Chris