flex-dev mailing list archives

From Harbs <harbs.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: TextFlowLine recycling
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2014 21:38:07 GMT
Duh!

I’ve actually been working on this for so long, I forgot what I’ve done! :-(

I just looked through the git logs and I see, that I’m the one that added _curLineStart.
The code used to get the index from the TextBlock, but that is no longer a reliable method
of getting the index, so I added _curLineStart.

Since it’s my mistake, I can fix this with impunity! Phew! :-p

No back to our regular programing… ;-)

On Nov 23, 2014, at 11:22 PM, Harbs <harbs.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here’s what I *think* is happening:
> 1) ComposeState.composeNextLine() calls createTextLine() and gets a TextLine.
> 2) Part of what BaseCompose.createTextLine() does is: _curLineStart += _curLine.textLength.
That increases the index of where the line is supposed to start from. _curLineStart is the
number used to initialize the TextFlowLine and determines its absoluteStart.
> 3) ComposeState.composeNextLine() then does a check for fitLineToParcel() on line 425.
> 4) If that fails, _curLine is set to null without adding it to the flowComposer.
> 5) The loop continues and a new line is created and initialized at _curLineStart which
was increased by the theoretical length of the line that was never actually used so things
get out of whack.

> I’m really nervous about fixing this, because I’m not sure why it’s failing now,
but was not failing before.

> The above logic makes no sense to me, but it’s not something that I changed. Without
understanding how it’s *supposed* to be working, I run the risk of breaking other areas
by fixing this. I’m obviously missing some nuance in the logic here.

> Anyone interested in sticking their noses into this mess?
>
> On Nov 23, 2014, at 11:00 PM, Harbs <harbs.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I went through all the ParagraphElements and TextFlowLines. I added it up, and it’s
clear to me that the _curElementOffset and _cur is being upped by 41 which is the length of
the current line before the line is initialized. That seems to be throwing everything out
of whack.

>> Now I just need to figure out where that’s happening…
>>
>> On Nov 23, 2014, at 9:55 PM, Harbs <harbs.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I’m back on this. I have a simpler case where things are getting out of sync.
>>>
>>> I have a line where the _curElementOffset is 382, the _curElementStart is 803
(total 1201).

>>> The total textLength of the textFlow is 1201.
>>>
>>> The _curLineStart is 1185 and the rawTextLength of the TextLine returned by the
TextBlock is 41. This adds up to more than the total length. Interestingly, the length of
the previous line is 41 as well.

>>> Adding up all the lengths of the TextLines in the TextBlock only comes to 389,
but the paragraph (and span) has a length of 398.

>>> It looks like the whole paragraph and TextBlock is somehow out of whack
>>>
>>> Sorry for the noise, but I’m writing this in the hope that the lightbulb will
come on for either me or someone reading this…

>>> Harbs

of them does not fit in the new composition space. What is supposed to happen to the old TextFlowLines?
I’m having trouble understanding the architecture here.

geometry of the TextFlowLine each time I’m composing it. If the geometry changed, I’d
throw out the old TextLine and ask the textBlock for a new one. Getting new TextLines, I see,
but recalculating the geometry I don’t.

I don’t

sync. I’m just not
too fragile IMHO… Every