flex-dev mailing list archives

From Harbs <harbs.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: International English
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2014 11:28:46 GMT
I think it should be consistent. Currently it’s all in US English and the benefit of changing
that is questionable while the effort is huge.

I don’t believe anyone has trouble “translating” between US and International English,
but using one in one place and the other in other places is sloppy.

Let’s just leave it as US English.

On Nov 18, 2014, at 1:21 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Over the last year only 17% of visitors to our site are from the US (from google analytics),
increasing Apache Flex users are from all over the world. (The installer shows similar stats.)
> Given that majority of our users don't use American English and would be more familiar
with International lEnglish I have some suggestions:
> - For now let make both US and British/International English acceptable. Just try to
be consistent when making a release. [1]
> - No need to go and retrofit this change to all existing content, just bare in mind when
> - Normal CTR rules apply, we really shouldn't be having discussions about this at release
> - Consider that a large % of our user base know English as a second (or third) language,
try and keep stuff simple.
> - Long term we should move to international English as this is more inclusive and better
reflects our user base.
> - Can we please not go down the path of using possibly award English that is locale agnostic.
> What do other people think?
> Thanks,
> Justin
> 1. And try and be a little forgiving, users are unlikely to confused by a word if it
spelt unexpectedly with a ize instead of a ise or vice versa.

View raw message