flex-dev mailing list archives

From Kessler CTR Mark J <mark.kessler....@usmc.mil>
Subject RE: Convenience Binary Policy
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2014 13:56:36 GMT
I like the idea so far.  Would there still be hashes / signatures on the non-official releases?

-Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Harbs [mailto:harbs.lists@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2014 9:48 AM
To: dev@flex.apache.org
Subject: Re: Convenience Binary Policy

Just a bit of background here for anyone not following the discussion on @general[1]

This was prompted by the issue with the failing FlexJS installer. The general consensus at
Apache is that releases are for source code only. "convenience packages may be provided as
well, but they are not official releases.

However, when these convenience packages are distributed by Apache, the waters become muddled.
Since it becomes unclear whether the convenience packages are under the umbrella of the Apache
release, it's not clear whether changes to them require votes and what official process needs
to be followed.

The solution that was proposed on @general was to make a clear distinction between the official
release of the source and any convenience packages. To make the distinction clear, the idea
was that it would not be hosted by Apache at all and we'd be clear that any installers (that
would make everyone's life easier) is not an official Apache release. It seems to me that
Github is the logical place to host this effort.

The advantages I see with this is that the release process should become simpler. As soon
as the Source passes muster, we could make the release official, and installers would not
be official releases at all. We could fix/modify installers and the like as much as needed
without worrying about legal implications.

It would also give us a place to host any non-Apache compatible "extras" (such as flexmojo).

[1]http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201410.mbox/%3CD06AD5EC.1BD2C%25aharui@adobe.com%3E

On Oct 23, 2014, at 4:32 PM, Harbs <harbs.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sure. Let's discuss away! :-) (Nothing has changed yet.)
>
> The repo *is* public, and my intention was that we'd give all Flex committers write access.
>
> On Oct 23, 2014, at 4:28 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Moving to flex dev list from general.
>>
>>> I just created "flex-extras" and we'll put in some appropriate text both on the
Github side and Apache Flex side. Hopefully this will prove to be a smooth resolution.

>> I know you mean well but this really needs to be discussed on the dev list/with the
PMC before making any changes.