flex-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Download Analytics (was Re: Very high FlexJS installer error rate (98+%))
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2014 04:33:32 GMT

> The Drill download page has a google Analytics insert on it.  I think that
> will hook the clicks that link to the CGI.

Our download pages do have google analytics in them and the in page analytics give some info
 on links but it's limited and as far as I'm aware it only record clicks on links that are
within the site and all the download links are show as 0%.

> Also, the middle link for "Direct File Download" is to a CDN which has
> full analytics.

We would need to add the download files to a CDN for this to work and even then it still wouldn't
give us the number for downloads from the Apache mirrors.

The download pages do see a reasonable amount of traffic. For this year rough numbers:
SDK binaries 20,000 views
SDK source 15,000 views
SDK utilities 10,000 views
Flex JS 8,000 views
FlexUnit 4,000 views
Tour De Flex 1000 views
FalconJX 500 views
Squiggly 300 views

Currently I think the best we can do is say a few % (5% perhaps?) of people that go to the
download page actually download something. But people can still get our code off a mirror
or other download site without us knowing about it. There's even a node JS utility to download
Apache Flex [1] and this page states there's been 2,500 download of the 4.13 SDK from it [2].

FlexJS does seem to be getting a lot more views of the download page than installs via the
installer when compared to our other software. There was a very large spike when Flex JS was
first released an the first month or so ( > 1/3 the total views) but has been slowly tapering
off since then.

1. https://github.com/JamesMGreene/node-flex-sdk
2. http://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/SDK-DDK/Apache-Flex-SDK.shtml
View raw message