flex-dev mailing list archives

From Harbs <harbs.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The Flex PMC is broken
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2014 10:34:17 GMT
Justin,

Don’t you think it’s a bit extreme declaring the PMC broken because some people disagree
with you?

Part of building community is allowing for the fact that there are different points of view
and just because there’s disagreement does not mean things are broken. In fact, a community
without disagreement isn’t much of a community… ;-)

Anyone who’s not subscribed to private will have no idea what you’re referring to, so
I think the private list is a better place for this discussion.

There are flaws and misrepresentation in each of your points, and I’d be happy to address
them on the private list where the discussion has more context.

Harbs

On Aug 21, 2014, at 12:45 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've considered carefully and so rather than resigning from the PMC I'm going to see
if I can fix it. Hopefully other PMC members can help me in this. If we can't fix it I'll
reconsider my options.

> The PMC responsibilities are clearly spelt out here [1], first they are legal and secondary
to they are to build community. We seem to be having a hard time with the second.

> IMO there's a few things that are broken currently:
> - Recent events where calls for votes are vetoed and the attitude that only certain types
of contributions count towards committership. I'll be calling a vote to try and rectify this
and stop this from occurring again.  Our own guidelines spell out what we value for committership
[2] - "The forms of contribution are not limited to only code. It can also include code reviews,
helping out users on the mailing lists, documentation, testing, etc." this matches with the
Apache Way [3], which of one of the key concepts is  "communiy over code".
> - Lack of openness. There been a few things done in private. If there is a good reason
for it, it should be brought up on the private list first and discussed. But if possible everything
should be done in the open, to build community and trust. Just because something was done
in a certain way during Adobe incubation doesn't mean it should be done that way again. Openness
is a key concept of the Apache Way.
> - We only hear from a few voices. We are possibly in danger of falling below the 3 active
PMC members required for a top level project when though we have 30+ PMC members. We need
to encourage existing PMC member to speak up and be involved or try and recruit more PMC members.
I'm open to ideas on how to make this happen.