flex-dev mailing list archives

From OmPrakash Muppirala <bigosma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 1000 installs of Apache Flex 4.13
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2014 06:01:49 GMT
On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 10:32 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 7/31/14 10:02 PM, "Justin Mclean" <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >> Any trends to the errors?
> >
> >Yep:
> >- windows get far more errors.
> >- windows can't create temporary directory is most common (well would of
> >been if Adobe hadn't password protected their open source site) - most
> >likely due to permissions issues.
> I just looked at the code.  It looks like the temp dir is created as a
> subfolder of the directory you chose for the install so it is strange that
> you don't have permissions unless folks are choosing directories in places
> that they don't have permission.  Is this caused because someone is not an
> admin on their computer?

Yes, that is correct.  If the user selects a directory where they don't
have write access (usually available to Admins), they will get this error.

When the user selects a directory, we check if the directory is empty.  If
not, we throw a friendly error.  We could also try to write a very small
file to the selected directory and throw a friendly error if we are unable
to write the file.