flex-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject The Flex PMC is broken
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2014 09:45:34 GMT

I've considered carefully and so rather than resigning from the PMC I'm going to see if I
can fix it. Hopefully other PMC members can help me in this. If we can't fix it I'll reconsider
my options.

The PMC responsibilities are clearly spelt out here [1], first they are legal and secondary
to they are to build community. We seem to be having a hard time with the second.

IMO there's a few things that are broken currently:
- Recent events where calls for votes are vetoed and the attitude that only certain types
of contributions count towards committership. I'll be calling a vote to try and rectify this
and stop this from occurring again.  Our own guidelines spell out what we value for committership
[2] - "The forms of contribution are not limited to only code. It can also include code reviews,
helping out users on the mailing lists, documentation, testing, etc." this matches with the
Apache Way [3], which of one of the key concepts is  "communiy over code".
- Lack of openness. There been a few things done in private. If there is a good reason for
it, it should be brought up on the private list first and discussed. But if possible everything
should be done in the open, to build community and trust. Just because something was done
in a certain way during Adobe incubation doesn't mean it should be done that way again. Openness
is a key concept of the Apache Way.
- We only hear from a few voices. We are possibly in danger of falling below the 3 active
PMC members required for a top level project when though we have 30+ PMC members. We need
to encourage existing PMC member to speak up and be involved or try and recruit more PMC members.
I'm open to ideas on how to make this happen.

1. http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
2. https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Guidelines
3. http://theapacheway.com
View raw message