flex-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache FlexJS 0.0.2 RC1
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2014 09:10:17 GMT
HI,

> Link to the discussion, please?

Been several - they are quite long - the 3rd one is probably the most relevant.
1. http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201405.mbox/%3cCAAS6=7jTVyaDhwepAqob-=83DxJ-uaMS9GyG5j5XdHYybvAtGQ@mail.gmail.com%3e
2.http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201405.mbox/%3cCAAS6=7hMsjJ1ATztOyeE_QNdPpQvvsxmx58vWrCqug1po2OGEQ@mail.gmail.com%3e
3. http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201405.mbox/%3cCAOFYJNaqACY-JXUesx-V0PnsiCCkfVo_xKdEMO-N5Nt7Y_JTFQ@mail.gmail.com%3e

A release is "a legal act guarded by responsible oversight" [1] and automating that means
we lose the oversight, and "until the policy is changed, PMCs and RMs are expected and *required*
to comply." [2]. Worse case the board will do this [3].

The script are certainly useful as a double check but IMO should not be use used as the sole
reason to vote +1. At the very least we need to have a discussion re this method of checking
release and a VOTE on it before introducing it. Given the legal ramifications (and our limited
legal understanding) IMO we should err of the side of caution.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201405.mbox/%3c6F8EDB3F-12C5-4D0C-A379-E9AB4F99F391@jaguNET.com%3e
2. http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201405.mbox/%3c47681A1F-924F-496F-8209-46EF3EDB7F02@jaguNET.com%3e