flex-dev mailing list archives

From Harbs <harbs.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Let's talk about Flex 5
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2014 11:56:37 GMT
I don’t think that’s correct. Unless I’m mistaken, the AIR iOS runtime is written in
Objective C from the get-go. (Although it might be written in C++. Dunno…)

Whether or not it makes sense to rewrite the AIR iOS runtime in Swift is an entirely different
question — which probably only the engineers at Adobe could really answer…

On Jun 5, 2014, at 2:51 PM, flex@dfguy.us wrote:

> My understanding is that the entire runtime gets cross compiled into objective c. So
Adobe would have to rewrite this to use swift, but I think the same process would basically
be used. It's possible though that swift could enable additional features. The limitation
on loading compiled byte code is purely just a licensing and not a technical limitation that
imposed by Apple.

> David

is just a swf with an embedded runtime.