flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [DRAFT 2] Apache Flex March 2014 Report
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2014 16:23:57 GMT

On 3/5/14 12:07 AM, "DarkStone" <darkstone@163.com> wrote:

>Hi Alex,I found a typo:>-Slight decrease in activity-level and number of
>committers */woring/* on SDK repo...I think "woring" should be "working",
>don't you think : )
Thanks for catching that.

>By the way, what do you mean by the statement
>below?>TRADEMARKS>-The new version of Flex is going to be called FlexJS.
>Does it mean the name and the trademark "Flex" will no longer exist?
No, Flex isn't going away.  You can have as many trademarks as you want.
If FlexUnit isn't trademarked, maybe it should be.

>The
>statement seems to imply that after Flex 4.12, Apache will no longer
>continue working on Flex, but working on FlexJS instead, I'm
>confused.DarkStone2014-03-05
Folks will probably continue to work on the Flex SDK as long as there are
folks who need work done.  And, of course, folks who need work done are
welcome to do the work themselves!  That's the great thing about Apache
that I think many people still need a mental shift on.  Flex customers no
longer have to be passive, waiting for some other team to fix their bug or
add their feature.  They can do it themselves or pay someone to do it for
them.  I'm pretty sure there are folks on this list who would gladly take
on some Flex work for pay.  And you don't have to worry about Adobe saying
that what you want isn't high enough priority or doesn't fit into the
schedule.  If you can do it or get someone to do it, it will be in the
next release.

Now FlexJS is hopefully this cool new next generation of Flex that will
future-proof Flex forever, and I do hope it draws a lot of attention and
developer energy.  And I do hope that every current Flex customer ends up
using FlexJS, but that is not going to happen this year or next year, or
probably ever.

And even though I try to spend all of my time pushing FlexJS forward, the
fact is, if a bug is found in the main SDK that nobody else has the
time/skills to take on and you can convince me it is important, I will try
to adjust my schedule and work on it.

-Alex