flex-dev mailing list archives

From Franck Wolff <frawo...@gmail.com>
Subject Third-party tools / solutions on Apache Flex website
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2014 12:33:29 GMT

I'm wondering why there is no section about Flex related server solutions
such as BlazeDS, AMFPHP, FluorineFx, Red5, WebOrb and GraniteDS (I'm of
course especially interesting in seeing GraniteDS somewhere on the Apache
Flex website ;)

I think people landing on the Apache Flex website and looking for the
required tools / solutions usually accompanying a client-side SDK (IDEs,
frameworks and servers) can end up with Google and the feeling that a lot
of solutions are discontinued or inactive. There is admittedly something
about IDEs (http://flex.apache.org/about-features.html) but I couldn't find
anything like a comprehensive list of frameworks and server-side solutions.
The mention of the latest release of BlazeDS at the bottom of every page
"4.6.0 (Nov 2011)" is a bit awkward in this respect and can even discourage
potential adopters of Apache Flex...

Apache ActiveMQ is, IMHO, doing the right thing with its "Connectivity"
page (http://activemq.apache.org/connectivity.html): a long and
comprehensive list of third-party solutions, open-source (from Apache or
other players) or not (WebLogic for instance), which gives a quick overview
of a large panel of related tools and solutions.

Do you think you could add a section on third-party tools? Can I contribute
(I'll try to be fair with everybody) if you don't have time to write this

Franck Wolff
Granite Data Services.

PS: we have just released GraniteDS 3.0.3.GA (
and it would be great if you could mention it in your "Latest Releases" or
"Latest News" panel (or anywhere else). I remember osflash.org had a News
section where related projects could register and announce their latest
releases (osflash is from the neolithic period, I admit).