flex-dev mailing list archives

From Lee Burrows <subscripti...@leeburrows.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.0 - RC6
Date Sun, 09 Mar 2014 18:25:02 GMT
Hi All,

I downloaded and installed the RC6 binaries (replacing 2.7) and found a
few issues:

1) On first run, buttons and dropdowns were not populated and installer
was showing busy mouse cursor continuously. After a couple of minutes i
tried clicking buttons and opened the log window which told me it
couldnt find the config file "http://flex....config-4.0.xml". On second
run, buttons and dropdowns were populated.

Installer implied it was busy - in fact it had stopped and reported an
error - not a good UX.

2) I couldn't find any mention of version number in the installer - i
shouldn't have to open the control panel to find out what the version
number is - perhaps add it to the title or at least the context menu?

3) Its not clear that dev builds are available - as a minimum, a
"right-click for more options" message should be added.

As this installer will be the gateway to Flex development for most new
users, its important that it creates a positive impression - i think
getting it right is more important than getting it out now.

Just my 2p worth

--
Lee Burrows
ActionScripter