flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Apache Flex 4.12
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2014 15:39:00 GMT

On 2/9/14 11:58 PM, "Justin Mclean" <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Looks like the last regression issue has been fixed (many thanks to Alex)
>- what else is required when we vote on a RC and finally get 4.12 out
>there? Obviously we need a complete pass of the mustella tests - but is
>there anything else? I know there a new installer in the works but there
>no harm (IMO) using the current one for this release.
Well, the new installer moves more of the UI of the install to the release
artifacts because the goal of the installer is to be able to install "any"
package that follows a particular workflow.  I can almost guarantee as we
finish up the new installer that we'll make changes to the .properties and
.xml files that are in the 4.12 source kit.  The net benefit is that once
the installer is done, it could theoretically be the last time we ever
vote on the installer, and future packages can alter the install without
having to release another installer.  For example, Tom Chiverton wants us
to abandon the Linux version of the installer and go with the ant script
on Linux, but I haven't localized the ant script yet.

So, I think it is less total work for us to scramble to get the new
installer out before we ship 4.12, otherwise a 4.12.1 is almost guaranteed
and that seems like more work.

That's what I'm going to be working on today.

-Alex