flex-dev mailing list archives

From OmPrakash Muppirala <bigosma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Installer] Version UI for other packages
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2014 01:35:36 GMT
On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 4:37 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com>wrote:

> Hi,
> > If we dont have more people testing it, we cannot make a release.
> Any committer can make a release it just require 3 +1 votes from the PMC
> to be official.
> > I don't want to release that has not been reasonably tested.
> In that case we shouldn't be making available it to the general public.
> Why not make and vote on a an alpha release? This nothing to say that a
> alpha release has to be perfect. In fact the expectation would be that it
> still needs work and is relatively untested/has bugs etc etc
> Seems to me we using the installer to avoid making official Apache
> releases. As the pages says "If this policy seems inconvenient, then
> release more often." We've gone more than a year without having a single
> release in this area. Making official releases more often (even if they are
> alphas/betas) gets people involved and shows progress.
The fact is that FlexJS is impossible to use with any IDE in the market
without an Installer assembling it.  You can read the feedback from IDE
developers [1] making it very clear that they need a SDK which can be
easily built or dropped in.

Which is exactly why we need an Installer for FlexJS in place first before
we release the SDK.  Only then we can release the FlexJS SDK.

What use is 'releasing' an SDK source kit if no one can use it?

Which is why we need to continue to use a nightly version of the SDK till
we can make a 'release' of the Installer for FlexJS.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33937