flex-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Smith <gosm...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: ActionScript 4? What the hell?
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2014 18:55:20 GMT
Adobe designed AS4 to be the language for a new Flash runtime ("V12") that it was working on
but dropped. (I was working on the AS4 compiler then.) Not all features of AS4 can be implemented
-- at least not easily and efficiently -- on the existing Flash runtime. However, some features
can be.

Alex, I suggest that you try to arrange for the donation of the incomplete AS4 compiler to
Apache for cherry-picking.

- Gordon

-----Original Message-----
From: Kessler CTR Mark J [mailto:mark.kessler.ctr@usmc.mil]
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 10:32 AM
To: dev@flex.apache.org
Subject: RE: ActionScript 4? What the hell?

   Well using the assumption that AS 4 would be an improvement in some area's from AS3 even
if it was an incomplete work.   While I haven't looked at it yet, I would be interested in
just seeing the differences and bring over small pieces that could be an improvement for us.
 Assuming it wasn't in the same direction as ASC 2 which started getting rid of things we
use.

-Mark