flex-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Chiverton ...@extravision.com>
Subject Re: Installer Revisited
Date Tue, 17 Dec 2013 11:05:12 GMT
On 16/12/2013 20:24, Alex Harui wrote:
> On 12/16/13 11:14 AM, "OmPrakash Muppirala" <bigosmallm@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Linux, we can probably assume that Ant is already installed, or just a
>> 'yum install' away from being available.  That way, they can just use the
>> ant script just as well.
> Interesting.  Tom, do you agree that Ant would be sufficient for a Linux
> install?
So a new Flex SDK installer would (only) depend on Ant (and therefore a
JDK) ? Makes sense to me.

To answer your question about the current AIR-based installer and Linux
'requires a separate install of AIR':
The web page install badge sends a .deb file, but this doesn't contain
enough information to correctly install the AIR runtime if it's missing,
and Adobe's AIR runtime release doesn't (and never had) correct
dependency information, or post install scripts to fix known issues with
library paths, hence the manual steps on the Wiki.
This is just one of the things AIR just doesn't do right when packaging
for Linux, and obviously there's not much will at Adobe these days to go
back to AIR 2.x and fix the packaging.

There's also the problem that we don't seem to have a .rpm (or .air) of
the installer that would allow other distributions to work even as well
as .deb based ones can at the moment.
Which is why I posted the other week about setting up a (Debian style
.deb, and also Fedora style .rpm) proper repository for Linux users that
would contain a package that would correctly install and setup the AIR
runtime, then install the current AIR installer.

But then this thread cam e up about rewriting the installer anyway, and
it seems to dovetail nicely. If the new installer is far enough away,
it's still worth the time to make a standard repository.

Tom