flex-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [DRAFT] Apache Flex December 2013 Report
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2013 22:38:49 GMT
Hi,

> OK, but how does the PMC "oust" the current chair?
The PMC would only have to oust the chair in extreme circumstances. I don't think the PMC
actually can remove the chair as the chair is appointed by the board. In practise I would
assume that the process would be that a PMC member (or more) would need to contact the board
and ask for the chair to be replaced along with a very good reason.

>  We can't require consensus in order to start a vote or else a power-hungry chair would
just
> veto that attempt.
A veto is not valid unless it's a good reason. Consensus is not required to start a vote but
having an open discussion is certainly more beneficial and makes the vote more likely to succeed.

>  I don't think a single PMC member should be able to start a vote either
Why not and what's the alternative?

> We don't say what kind of vote is going to be used to select a new chair either.
The guidelines state it is Consensus Approval (ie 3+1 and no -1s) but that assumes only one
candidate. Most other projects I've seen use single transferable vote voting ie number the
candidates in the order you want.

Thanks,
Justin