flex-dev mailing list archives

From Erik de Bruin <e...@ixsoftware.nl>
Subject Re: [FlexJS] Interfaces, DataGrids, new MXML codegen
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2013 18:48:17 GMT
>> - the frameworks will become easier to develop and maintain: build it
>> on the AS side, and start the work on the JS side by copying the class
>> structure. Or better yet, run the AS through the compiler and start
>> with the JS output, that way you should be able to start with a
>> reasonable functional JS class ;-) This is really cool, by the way. I
>> put the entire AS framework through the compiler the other day and was
>> amazed at how clean and nearly usable the JS output was... it got me
>> thinking if we wouldn't want to just do the AS side (FlexJS style) and
>> then see what's missing on the JS side (mostly flash.* classes,
>> apparently). But that's for another time ;-)
>>

> Big +1 for this idea.  If there is any chance I get to not write JavaScript
> directly, I want to make full use of it.  Any chance you can publish your
> process for doing this?  As an overly simple example, if I write a Chart
> component in AS, it would be so much easier if I go and replace the AS
> 'graphics' object to a JS 'canvas' or 'd3' object.  Most other stuff should
> (hopefully) remain the same.

All I did was stuff 'FlexJSUIClasses.as' into FalconJx and watched it
churn out a sizeable part of the FlexJS SDK as JS... But not all of
it. And that is where the "for another time" comment comes in, we'd
probably have to parse some manifests in an ant build setup (or
something) to get the whole FlexJS SDK.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software