flex-dev mailing list archives

From Maurice Amsellem <maurice.amsel...@systar.com>
Subject Air Stage Text Issue
Date Sat, 16 Nov 2013 13:17:35 GMT
Hi,

I am currently working on the issue about StageTextInput not scrolling on mobile:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33166

Debugging the SDK  source code,  it appears that "proxying" the StageTextInput with a bitmap
is already in place (see class StyleableStageText).

However, the proxy bitmap is shown  in only very specific situations:
- a stage animation that contains the stage text is playing (example:  Touch "throw" animation,
that happens when you *release* your finger after swiping )
- popup is opened , in which case all text input below in the z-order are proxied to bitmaps

Another rather "radical" approach, which has been suggested by some ( DarkStone, Flexicious),
would be to always display a StageText as a proxy bitmap when it's visible,
and to show the StageText only when typing text via the soft keyboard.

It's hard for me to believe that the Adobe SDK team went into all the pain of implementing
the bitmap proxying, and the complex popup depth calculations (cf. StyleableStageText 3000+
lines of code) and didn't think about such a simple approach.
So there must be something else!

Some ideas come to mind:
- memory concerns: maintaining bitmap proxies for all visible text inputs (and text areas),
especially on high resolution displays, can be very costly.
- time:  maybe Flex was stopped at Adobe before this approach could be implemented, and TI
was left in an intermediate state...

Or maybe, they didn't see the scrolling issue... nobody is perfect.

Does someone know ?

Maurice