flex-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael A. Labriola" <labri...@digitalprimates.net>
Subject RE: Date without Time (Was: Re: Adobe Bugbase: Bug 3643917 Updated: Date/time gets messed up by the client locale time zone setting)
Date Wed, 09 Oct 2013 00:11:23 GMT
>What about them?  For Doug and Mike, was it really easier to do custom AMF and timezone
math vs just creating a custom DateWithoutTime class and transfer the Date portion to/from
the Date values in the components?

It wasn't an OR for us but an AND.

In some cases where we couldn't use a completely custom flex framework, we messed around with
just the serialization and imposed restrictions on the application developer to hopefully
keep things sane. This sometimes worked. However, you will note that certain pickers, etc.
create new Dates internally and hence create them in local timezones which one needs to be
careful with when dealing with this whole serialization mess.

When we could, we did our own custom class, implemented an interface, changed all of the Flex
framework to use that interface instead of Date.. changed all of the spurious code inside
of things like the Date pickers which randomly instantiate a new Date object and then implemented
custom serialization to allow that custom Date object to flow back and forth to our end point
properly.

Internal to our custom object we still delegated much of the behavior down to an internal
date so that we would still get the benefit of the date math. However, it also causes problems,
as all of the date math is still going to occur in the timezone in which your client machine
is located as you are not allowed to change the tz offset. So there are still borders where
this goes wrong.

Mike