flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [FlexJS] how much of Google closure goodies do we plan to use?
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2013 17:16:20 GMT
Interesting.  I was thinking that the opt-in for drag/drop code is in the
definition of the component itself.  Either you would take some base
container and somehow add the dragging bead to it, or choose a base class
that had it baked in, maybe a subclass of Panel called DraggablePanel.  I
didn't envision people wanting to choose at the point of creating the
popup instance itself, but I could be wrong.

Side note: a lot of these dragEnabled-like flags probably go away and are
replaced by the adding of a bead somehow.  Flags generally require that
the dependencies for both code paths are baked in except in rare cases
where you can defer the work.

Either way, these code dependencies are in a class definition of either
the popup or a bead the popup needs, and you are back to the classic and
more generic problem of deferring loading of classes.  We'll have some
thing that works like Flex Modules where you can defer the loading of some
code, and we will hopefully find a way to externally link beads that are
not explicitly declared so they can come in via a module "just-in-time".
In the prototype, most beads are "declared" in CSS so they aren't seen by
the compiler as a dependency, and that gives us the option of linking them
differently.

BTW, I agree about conditional compilation.  I don't want to make that a
requirement in FlexJS.

Thoughts?

-Alex