flex-dev mailing list archives

From Erik de Bruin <e...@ixsoftware.nl>
Subject Re: Mustella tests failing and release candidates
Date Sun, 13 Oct 2013 07:09:40 GMT
>> Also, I think it might be a good idea that if we include a 'prepare
>> for RC' phase, I can switch the Mustella VM from the 'develop' branch
>> to the 'RC' branch.
> Wouldn't it be easier to just ask people to work in branches and not commit directly
directly to develop unless they want it in the next RC?

No, that certainly isn't easier. If work can continue as usual in
'develop' while the release team stabilises the 'release' brach, that
would be far simpler. That way no-one has to change their workflow
because a release is imminent.

>> Also, during an release, we might want to point the 'flex-sdk_release'
>> job on builds@a.o at the 'RC' branch, so the nightlies from that point
>> on to release will basically be the RC.
> If we merge into develop from release at regularly intervals their should be no issues
with the nightlys.

But all that merging back and forth is extra work for the release
manager and you are looking for less work, not more, correct? Let us
help you help us, please?

>> This would also mean that the period we work on a release becomes more
>> extended
> Is that a good thing? I'd rather releases were less work for everyone involved and we
had them more frequently (every few months). Releases ideally should be as simple as branching
release, doing some basic checks and voting on it.

Apache Flex releases will never be that simple, the complexity doesn't
come from the amount of changes made to the codebase. If we make
releasing a team effort, the workload of the release manager can be
significantly reduced.

Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht