flex-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Smith <gosm...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: [FALCON] Large App Compiles and Starts
Date Wed, 09 Oct 2013 17:09:42 GMT
Congratulatlons on reaching a huge milestone!

- Gordon

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Harui [mailto:aharui@adobe.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 11:07 PM
To: dev@flex.apache.org
Subject: [FALCON] Large App Compiles and Starts

I checked in a bunch of fixes to Falcon to get a large 20MB SWF to compile and get to its
first screen.  I'm sure there are more bugs to fix if I used that SWF, but I'm going to stop
there for a bit and work on other issues.

The Ant script that builds all of this code (several SWCs then one big SWF) takes about 4
minutes to run using MXMLC and 3.5 minutes with Falcon.  That's not a huge gain, but maybe
we'll find some optimizations.  I tried to profile the compilation of the largest SWC, but
the profiler got fooled by the the future tasks.  I think I saw that most of the time is in
the burm, but it is hard to say if it is an inordinate amount of time.

Having fixed a number of bugs in Falcon, I'm still not an expert in the code, but my observation
is that, besides the burm, there might be optimizations in passing down more state so you
don't have to chase up the tree to see if you are in a member expression or assignment, and
there might be a way to call the resolver less often, have it resolve faster by having more
information about what the search is looking for, including whether you want a getter or a
setter.

Anyway, Falcon is now in much better shape than it used to be, especially in Flex-specific
things like binding and skin parts.

-Alex