flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: JSON to XML
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2013 23:25:31 GMT

On 9/2/13 11:56 PM, "Harbs" <harbs.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

>I moved over to dev because I thought it was the right place to go off on
>this tangent...
Ah, sorry, I wasn't tracking which list it was on.

E4x emulation seems really hard, so I'm not planning on taking it on for
early versions of FlexJS.  IMO, there are enough folks who are building
out JSON services that XML handling isn't a top priority.

Also, I have a hunch that doing it will be easier in the future if we can
ever drop IE8 and assume browsers that have getter/setter support.

When I did spend a few minutes looking into XML, I think I saw that
Flash's XMLDocument isn't easily done in JS either.  There might be some
new API we can have everyone write to that ports well to JS, but my
thinking is, if you have a bunch of e4x code now, re-writing that to
XMLDocument or some new procedural API would be so painful, you would just
as soon go to JSON.

We will probably support some sort of XMLDecoder/XMLEncoder like thing
that translates XML to data classes or JSON trees.  It would be great to
get some help on that if anyone is interested.  Having that and
LazyCollections should give the best performance for those who can't use
JSON backends.

But, of course, I could be wrong, and anyone who wants to take on better
XML handling in FlexJS is welcome.

-Alex