flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Apache Flex depends on Adobe Flex SDK 4.6.0 to make SDK for IDE
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2013 00:31:30 GMT

On 7/24/13 5:04 PM, "Mark Kessler" <kesslerconsulting@gmail.com> wrote:

>Could be an interesting point if they stop hosting Adobe Flex 4.6 some day
>:P
Quite true, so it really should be on our task list to eliminate our
dependencies on Adobe stuff over the next 3.5 years.  Plus, every time I
wait for Adobe Flex to download, my head starts to hurt.

There are two issues though: prerequisites, and optional features.

Regarding prerequisites:

The current SDK will probably always be tied to the Flash Platform.  The
Flash/AIR SDKs will never be licensed in an Apache-compatible way and
thus, it will always be important to have a configuration where the
Flash/AIR stuff is downloaded first and can be used without being copied
into the SDK folders.  This is so anyone who really cares can feel safe
about what files in the SDK folders are and aren't Apache-compatible.
IMO, this is very important for folks submitting source back to Apache,
otherwise, the wrong thing can get checked in by accident.  I know I am
very capable of making this mistake, so my local working copies do not get
reconfigured for use in FB.

The unfortunate problem is that FB doesn't recognize a Flex SDK without
Flash/AIR copied into it, so we'll probably always have a tool that does
that for you with the appropriate warnings, but who knows if IntelliJ and
other IDEs will get smart about this and eliminate that step for their
customers.

And FlexJS?  The AS side does have dependencies on Flash/AIR, but we
should probably make sure there is a kit that somehow lets you build
without those prerequisites.

Regarding Optional Features:

BlazeDS, OSMF and font embedding libraries make up a set of optional
features because they are or have dependencies on non-compatible
licensing.  BlazeDS will eventually be donated to Apache.  OSMF is a
category B license so it should be ok as an option.  And that leaves the
font embedding libraries.  Font embedding is not on the near term radar
for FlexJS, so it won't have a problem, but eventually we need to rewrite
the font embedding libraries ourselves for the current SDK and potentially
for FlexJS's AS side as well.