flex-dev mailing list archives

From Terry Corbet <terry.cor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Flex depends on Adobe Flex SDK 4.6.0 to make SDK for IDE
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2013 19:51:26 GMT
It was instructive when your new marketing guru arrived and the first
message was "I write press releases, I don't do CSS and HTML."  I
understand where he is coming from, so I think there is a bigger issue by
which the team's interpretation of  "The Apache Way" as implying some sort
of Least Common Denominator approach has clearly been counter-productive to
your efforts.

You guys don't really want to know that when we needed human input/output
for our first computers we borrowed the esteemed Model 33 Teletype from the
communications industry, so somewhere back in the fifties I still know
about 5-bit Baudot code that required us to insert Shift characters into
lines of text so that the renderer would correctly understand whether we
meant upper case or lower case letters following.  Not supporting marketing
tools like PDF documents is as absurd as asking me send your 5-bit text.

So, the good news about being so old and so geeky is that I will give you
HTML and CSS if that is the only language you speak, but others will not.
In the hours since rapidly trying to author something that would be helpful
for 4.10 RC3, I could not raise the folks in Germany, where FlashDevelop is
located, but I have now sent them a summary of these threads and suggested
that they try to establish contact with the Apache Flex community directly.

I am sorry for and have no idea why you would have any licensing issue with
them.  Their product is as free and as freely available as anyone's
definition of that term as been since Richard introduced it in the
eighties.  Please post to Phillippe, he is very responsive to the hundreds
of technical and non-technical postings he makes daily.

My direct email is tcorbet DOT ix DOT netcom DOT com; please give me one
that I can use to send you attachments not supported by this
communication's vehicle.  I will see about converting the current document
to your preferred format, but, as I said, since the  window is probably
closed for this release, I hope you will get a much better document from
the folks at FlashDevelop.