flex-dev mailing list archives

From OmPrakash Muppirala <bigosma...@gmail.com>
Subject Flex mobile performance
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2013 17:15:45 GMT
On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Jonathan Campos <jonbcampos@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 4:43 PM, OmPrakash Muppirala
> <bigosmallm@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > So, when folks are saying that Flex does not perform well on mobile, can
> > you please post some examples, etc so we can try to figure out what the
> > real problems?  As opposed to sweeping statements like Flex mobile sucks,
> > etc.
> >

> Just as a quick note. I've spent quite a bit of time over the last 2 years
> talking to teams that have had issues with their Flex Mobile apps and they
> all blame Flex for some really bad framerates and they "know their code is
> correct".
>
> The biggest issue I've found is item renderers. Wouldn't you know when I
> switch out their item renderers things seem to move very smoothly and
> almost all their complaints go away. Yes there is still that half-second
> lag for the new View to come in but other than that all the performance
> issues are gone.

I have similar experiences as well.  In fact, badly designed itemrenderers
cause lags even in non-Flex iOS and Android apps.  I have seen this in
numerous apps.

Is there something we can do about this in terms of coding/compiler
warnings etc. ?  Or perhaps have a Flex PMD rule for this?

At the very least, we should have documentation on our docbase that talks
about this issue.  Is that something you could help with?

Thanks,
Om