flex-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffry Houser <jef...@dot-com-it.com>
Subject Re: Flex mobile performance
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2013 20:05:01 GMT
On 7/1/2013 1:15 PM, OmPrakash Muppirala wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Jonathan Campos <jonbcampos@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 4:43 PM, OmPrakash Muppirala
>> <bigosmallm@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> So, when folks are saying that Flex does not perform well on mobile, can
>>> you please post some examples, etc so we can try to figure out what the
>>> real problems?  As opposed to sweeping statements like Flex mobile sucks,
>>> etc.
>>>
>> Just as a quick note. I've spent quite a bit of time over the last 2 years
>> talking to teams that have had issues with their Flex Mobile apps and they
>> all blame Flex for some really bad framerates and they "know their code is
>> correct".
>>
>> The biggest issue I've found is item renderers. Wouldn't you know when I
>> switch out their item renderers things seem to move very smoothly and
>> almost all their complaints go away. Yes there is still that half-second
>> lag for the new View to come in but other than that all the performance
>> issues are gone.

> I have similar experiences as well.  In fact, badly designed itemrenderers
> cause lags even in non-Flex iOS and Android apps.  I have seen this in
> numerous apps.

  Even before mobile; the bulk of customer support complaints about the
Flextras AutoCompleteComboBox were fixed when I showed customers how to
re-write their itemRenderers not to use binding.  All of a sudden the
memory leaks--which everyone insisted came from my code--went away.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur