flex-dev mailing list archives

From "Kessler CTR Mark J" <mark.kessler....@usmc.mil>
Subject RE: flash EventDispatcher and Event
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2013 18:42:07 GMT
Well it did start with the issue FLEX-33608 [1].  They wanted to be able to remove all event
listeners.  I had an old piece of code that created one time use listeners so I was able to
toss together a work around for them.

But I went down the road of seeing what was feasible for being able to add simple functionality
to the EventDispatcher anyways.   The W3C DOM event  Specification is understandable, but
the problem lies with how Adobe implemented it.  They basically left method prototypes in
the AS and execute all of it in the player.

Starling has this [2].  They've created their own event dispatcher to be able to gain control
of this.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33608
[2] http://doc.starling-framework.org/core/starling/events/EventDispatcher.html

-Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Harui [mailto:aharui@adobe.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2013 1:27 PM
To: dev@flex.apache.org
Subject: Re: flash EventDispatcher and Event

Hi Mark,

I'm a bit lost on the context here.  The Flash Player is more or less
implementing the W3C DOM Event Specification.  Are you looking to enhance
it?  If so, why?  A whole group of people over at W3C decided this API set
was sufficient.  Or did I miss where they are also updating the
specification?

If this is related to the attempt to know who is listening for events on
an object, keep in mind that I've seen folks want to know that in order to
get all of those listeners to call removeEventListener, but I've never
really understood why, since those listeners do not cause a memory leak of
the object being listened to since the only reference is from the object
being listened to, to the object that is listening.

-Alex