flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Swiz Framework Donation to Apache Flex
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2013 04:49:55 GMT

On 6/3/13 6:49 PM, "Jeffry Houser" <jeffry@dot-com-it.com> wrote:

>On 6/3/2013 7:44 PM, Lee Burrows wrote:
>> "while they could continue to exist in GitHub or Google Code, it isn't
>> clear that anyone is really around to handle questions or bugs" - That
>> would still be true if the projects were part of Apache Flex, and
>> Apache is not an historical archive.
>> "in a few cases, the code owners have indicated that they no longer
>> wish to support a separate community around those bodies of code" - If
>> nobody is willing to take ownership of a project (or at least put it
>> on a free github account), how useful a project is it?
>  I have had similar thoughts; but Lee stated them much more elegantly
>than I.  ( Thanks Lee).
Yup, and your reasoning is well-considered.  I'm not sure there is a
'right' answer, but IMO, we're all here to change the expected 'evolution'
of Adobe's move away from in-house development of Flex.  But we do have to
keep an eye out for spreading ourselves too thin, showing favoritism for
one framework vs another, etc.

>  It is the primary reason I have been voting '0'.  I, personally don't
>see the mutual benefit to either project to get donated; but do not see
>any benefit in trying to block the donation from others who seem to care
>about it a lot more than I.
>  When I last commented on Swiz; one response was
>"there are a few contributors that never got their improvements / bug
>fixes merged to the project so anyone using swiz is missing those."
>  I have no idea how moving the project to Apache Flex will address that
Because we have a process, any Apache Flex committer can make those
changes to the code base and create a release candidate.  And if anyone is
that motivated, I will take the time to review the candidate, and I hope
the others voting for donation will as well.  And that's a better chance
than I think the situation would be otherwise.

View raw message