flex-dev mailing list archives

From Frédéric THOMAS <webdoubl...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Extra Merge?
Date Sun, 07 Apr 2013 17:06:11 GMT
Hi Mark,

For the FLEX-33190, I would have separated it into 2 commits, the reason
behind that is because one is relative to the code and one relative to the
doc, splitting it into 2 commits gives you the possibility to revert one w/o
to to touch the other.

For the FLEX-33477, I would have reverted the previous commit doing a 'git
revert 9ec4d178' (this number is the hash of your commit), it creates
another commit reversing your changes with a special comment telling the
people you reverted, I would have then done the changes on the reverted one
and committed this other change.

So, it would have meant, you had 2 commits on each of your branches, so,
following the guideline, back on your develop branch, you should had run:

git merge --no-ff FLEX-33477
git merge --no-ff FLEX-33190

git fetch
git rebase -p  (eventually if time elapsed between the merge and the push)

push

Note:
- You apparently did a 'git rebase' or 'git pull --rebase' before merging,
one the reason you can't see a separate line with only your commits and the
associated merge, one other reason could be if you didn't use the --no-ff
flag and nobody did a commit in between, Git in this case apply a fast
forward whatever you did a merge or have a branch, that's the reason why I
did the Git command workflow on the wiki, following it, you're always safe.

- Your first commit relative to FLEX-33477 wouldn't have been included
inside the separated line indeed, it has been commit before.

I hope it's clear and it helps.

-Fred