flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Meet 'marmotinni', an ASJS testing framework
Date Fri, 12 Apr 2013 17:32:41 GMT

On 4/12/13 9:45 AM, "Erik de Bruin" <erik@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:

> Ok, maybe I didn't explain the idea correctly: marmotinni is meant as
> a testing framework for the HTML/JS output of an ASJS framework
> (currently focussed on FlexJS). We do want a way to automatically test
> the functionality of the FalconJX output (debug and release) across
> the various browsers, so we can be sure that whatever we do to the
> various frameworks or FalconJX doesn't adversely affect it, don't we?
Yup.

> Why would you want to roll our own, based on a framework that wasn't
> designed for it, when I give you this solution?

I don't know much about testing frameworks other than mustella, so I'm
mostly asking dumb questions.  I don't have a fully-formed plan on how to
test all of this stuff, so I'm not saying you made the wrong decision.  I'm
just curious.  How do I test the AS Side?  Does this mean I have two
versions of each test?

I was just looking at the compiler.jx.tests trying to figure out where to
add more tests.  These seem like feature tests to me, do you agree?  Yet we
are using Junit to run them.  I haven't used FlexUnit but I assume it can do
unit and functional testing just like Junit.  And we own the code so we can
make it do that if needed.

And I have no clue if it would be better/faster for us to modify FlexUnit to
cover JS unit and functional testing, or give it some way to leverage what
you did to run it on Selenium.  But I was considering whether there are
extensive suites of FlexUnit tests out there that folks may want to leverage
as FlexJS grows up.

I do think I just want to write the "source" for a test once and then have
it run "everywhere".

As I've been going through the compiler.jx.tests, it makes me want to
refactor those tests as well so they can be used to test Falcon's AS
handling too.

At one point several years ago, Mike L and I discussed authoring FlexUnit
tests in MXML.  I still like the idea as it more tightly controls the way
tests are authored.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team