flex-dev mailing list archives

From Harbs <harbs.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Still confused by git
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2013 11:02:34 GMT
Okay. I did it. It looks like I slightly messed up the last step. Sorry about that.

I used SourceTree for the last step because I was not interested in typing my password into
Terminal. I think there's a checkbox to push all tags that I should have unchecked…

Thanks for the hand-holding on this… :-)

On Apr 5, 2013, at 12:31 PM, Frédéric THOMAS wrote:

> You right Harbs, that currently looks something I dislike at the point I won't work anymore
on that tree.
> Well, for your case (I assume you updated your .gitconfig as shown in the Wiki) :
> -Checkout the develop branch: git co develop
> -If you have some modified files in your working tree, save them first: git stash -u
"my current work"
> -Be sure the branch is up to date before to start working on it: git pull --rebase
> -create the branch you will work on, assuming your create a JIRA first: git co -b "FLEX-XXXX"
> -get back the work you save on this branch: git stash pop
> -Edit/add files/dirs
> -Add them to the staged area(also called index) and commit, you've got 2 choices, either
you do 1 commit or more:
> 1- To add all of them in a once, that's in order to do only one commit:
>       - git add .
>       - git ci -m "FLEX-XXXX: Fixed this"
> 2- To add them one by one, that's in order to make more commits
>       - git add <myFile1> <myFile2>
>       - git ci -m "FLEX-XXXX: Fixed this in my 1rst commit"
>       - git add <myFile3> <myFile4>
>       - git ci -m "FLEX-XXXX: Fixed this in my 2nd commit"
> - check all the files are committed: git st
> - If there are more repeat the add/commit steps, otherwise, go back on the develop branch:
git co develop
> - rebase your work on what the others did: git pull --rebase
> - Merge your branch to the develop one: git merge --no-ff  FLEX-XXXX
> - you can now push: git push
> - you can remove your local branch if you want now it is unused: git br -d FLEX-XXXX
> I hope that helps
> -Fred
> -----Message d'origine----- From: Harbs
> Sent: Friday, April 05, 2013 11:06 AM
> To: dev@flex.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Still confused by git
> Hi Fred,
> I've read those pages. (I see now you've updated them.) Conceptually, I sort of got the
idea of how to do things, but I find that until I actually do something once, I don't quite
"get" it… If someone could walk me through this once, I think I'l be a lot more comfortable
that I'm doing things right.
> There's also been a lot of discussion on when to rebase and when not. I'm not clear on
whether there has been a consensus on that. Looking at the graph, it seems to me that not
everyone is working exactly the same way. (unless I don't know how to read the graph, which
is also possible…)
> On Apr 5, 2013, at 11:29 AM, Frédéric THOMAS wrote:
>> Hi Harbs,
>> Check the wiki first for a complete workflow guideline and git setup, if you need
more info, ask them after you reviewed this wiki pages [1] [2], there are even interactive
tutorials really well done. [1] [2]
>> I advice that to everybody, for myself, until everyone understood and applied the
basics written in the wiki, I won't touch the SDK anymore.
>> -Fred
>> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Git+for+Apache+Flex+Guide
>> [2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Good+vs+Bad+Git+usage
>> -----Message d'origine----- From: Harbs
>> Sent: Friday, April 05, 2013 10:14 AM
>> To: dev@flex.apache.org
>> Subject: Still confused by git
>> I've tried to follow all the git discussions. But, after all the discussions on how
to use git, I'm still confused on the basics.
>> Here's what I need to know right now:
>> Right now I have a number of files I've edited outside my working directory related
to ColorPicker inside experimental. I'd like to commit this work to the develop branch. It
probably makes sense to create a branch to indicate the work I'm doing on this. (or not?)
>> I'm using SourceTree on Mac. I'd rather not mess with the command line.
>> So far I've checked out develop and master. The index view shows a bunch of modified
and deleted files. I have not yet touched any of the git folders on my machine.
>> How do I?
>> 1) Make sure my working copy is up to date?
>> 2) Make sure my working coy is the correct branch? (Does that make sense?)
>> 3) Create a new branch? (Or do I?)
>> 4) Get my changes up to origin?
>> I've seen a lot of talk about switching between branches, but this stuff is all very
fuzzy to me and kind of scary… ;-)
>> Harbs

View raw message