flex-dev mailing list archives

From Harbs <harbs.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Still confused by git
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2013 09:06:09 GMT
Hi Fred,

I've read those pages. (I see now you've updated them.) Conceptually, I sort of got the idea
of how to do things, but I find that until I actually do something once, I don't quite "get"
it… If someone could walk me through this once, I think I'l be a lot more comfortable that
I'm doing things right.

There's also been a lot of discussion on when to rebase and when not. I'm not clear on whether
there has been a consensus on that. Looking at the graph, it seems to me that not everyone
is working exactly the same way. (unless I don't know how to read the graph, which is also
possible…)

On Apr 5, 2013, at 11:29 AM, Frédéric THOMAS wrote:

> Hi Harbs,
>
> Check the wiki first for a complete workflow guideline and git setup, if you need more
info, ask them after you reviewed this wiki pages [1] [2], there are even interactive tutorials
really well done. [1] [2]

> I advice that to everybody, for myself, until everyone understood and applied the basics
written in the wiki, I won't touch the SDK anymore.

> -Fred
>
> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Git+for+Apache+Flex+Guide
> [2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Good+vs+Bad+Git+usage
>

> -----Message d'origine----- From: Harbs
> Sent: Friday, April 05, 2013 10:14 AM
> To: dev@flex.apache.org
> Subject: Still confused by git
>
> I've tried to follow all the git discussions. But, after all the discussions on how to
use git, I'm still confused on the basics.

> Here's what I need to know right now:
> Right now I have a number of files I've edited outside my working directory related to
ColorPicker inside experimental. I'd like to commit this work to the develop branch. It probably
makes sense to create a branch to indicate the work I'm doing on this. (or not?)

> I'm using SourceTree on Mac. I'd rather not mess with the command line.
>
> So far I've checked out develop and master. The index view shows a bunch of modified
and deleted files. I have not yet touched any of the git folders on my machine.

> How do I?
> 1) Make sure my working copy is up to date?
> 2) Make sure my working coy is the correct branch? (Does that make sense?)
> 3) Create a new branch? (Or do I?)
> 4) Get my changes up to origin?
>
> I've seen a lot of talk about switching between branches, but this stuff is all very
fuzzy to me and kind of scary… ;-)