flex-dev mailing list archives

From Frédéric THOMAS <webdoubl...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [3/3] git commit: Merge branch 'develop' of https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/flex-sdk into develop
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2013 15:06:14 GMT
The --rebase option can be used to ensure a linear history by preventing
unnecessary merge commits. Many developers prefer rebasing over merging,
since it’s like saying, “I want to put my changes on top of what everybody
else has done.” In this sense, using git pull with the --rebase flag is even
more like svn update than a plain git pull.

In fact, pulling with --rebase is such a common workflow that there is a
dedicated configuration option for it:

git config --global branch.autosetuprebase always

-- From what I'm sure has to be read by any new git user
http://atlassian.com/git/tutorial/git-basics

-Fred

-----Message d'origine-----
From: Frédéric THOMAS
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 3:56 PM
To: dev@flex.apache.org
Subject: Re: [3/3] git commit: Merge branch 'develop' of
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/flex-sdk into develop

> Hotfixes apply to the release branch not the develop branch.

Oh, true but features and bugfixes are treated in the same way anyway except
if the all bugfix is 1 or 2 little commits, in this last case, rebasing is
the rule.

> From my understanding a rebase can mess up history. Do we really want to
> do that as the default and if so what are the implication of that?

NO, that's the opposite, image the how awfull and difficult to read if then
persons merge instead of rebasing because they don't work on branches, that
will look like spaghetti, unreadable !

-Fred