flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Log history
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2013 16:41:14 GMT
AFAICT, the git branching model does not dictate that you must use a branch
for all changes to develop, it just talks about a strategy for how to use
feature branches if you choose to use them.

I'm a git newbie, but really, I am looking forward to having the option to
create a cheap and quick branch to do multi-commit changes to the code.
Quite often I get disrupted from some work I'm doing and when I come back I
find myself looking at the diffs against the SVN repo and trying to remember
why I did something.  With a local branch, I can "commit" with a record of
what I did and have local history of what I did to refer to when I come
back.  Sounds like a good thing to me,  But there is no requirement to make
a branch unless you need that sort of thing.

Regarding the rebase option.  I spent last evening reading all of the
articles Justin and other pointed us to.  It seems pretty straight forward
to me:  You should use rebase when refreshing your local branch against the
remote branch it came from before pushing.  You should not rebase when
merging between two remote branches (and therefore, I am not setting the
config to default to rebase because I will be merging remote branches when
doing releases).  And for other configurations, it is best to understand
what it really does, and if you decide to use it and it fails, abort it and
use merge.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team